Friday, September 15, 2006

Easy design in everyday life

Helsinki caught me by surprise-- instead of being an impeccable, don't-touch kind of city, it was a really liveable, and yet highly elegant urban oasis. I had lunch at a restaurant that sold only salad (the Finns eat very simply and healthfully): how delicious! particularly because of the bowls they were served in-- large, white, china bowls, that were stacked on top of each other waiting for each client to customize.

* * * *
Later on that day, I spotted this woman wearing a green version of a vintage Marimekko dress that I have, passed on to me by my mother; made me feel confirmed in my sense that Helsinki is a city about wearable, liveable, design...design with longevity. (Her dress is her mother's too! She was wearing it on top of red trousers. So cute.)

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger la femme said...

I am Finnish Canadian and so, so happy to see your Helsinki posts! Thank you!

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home