Tuesday, November 28, 2006

recycled design DIY: affordable salvaged wood slabs in the rough

Continuing our look at recycled design, I couldn't pass this up. Urban Tree Salvage is a Canadian company that salvages trees from cities that would otherwise be put in the chipper or burnt. The good news: they sell their beautiful eco-furniture on Vivavi.....
And the better news?
you can buy their product unfinished for very affordable prices-- starting from around $200. And look of the size of them: do you see the cute little hands holding up this wooden slab? Most slabs are available with a "live" edge (with bark) and the smaller the slab, the better the chances that both sides can come with live sides. (I only wish there were more of these companies-- particularly ones in the Northeast!)

First image courtesy of BDDW.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger a.m. said...

that is cool! i once saw a table in italy made from a slab of sequoia. so ancient, so beautiful. in a modern twist, it reminds me a little of: http://www.miniot.com/miniot/index.htm

4:00 PM  
Blogger Phoebe said...

cute ipod covers, amiga! but why so $$? xx p

4:47 PM  
Blogger Lena said...

gorgeous...

6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Miss Phoebe! This is exactly what I've been looking for -- for the apartment and the new studio. Pearl and I are moving to the South End very soon!

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, me again. I did find Staples Cabinet Makers recently and they're in Plainville. I'm not sure what the pricing is like but the wood (and furniture) is so cool.
http://www.staplescabinetmakers.com/
I'll let you know what I find out...

11:40 AM  
Blogger Phoebe said...

e, that staples company looks like a terrific find! thanks so much, and keep me posted on this one!

xp

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great wood slabs etc. I have a friend here in Canada that could do that for me which I was already thinking about so, I found your entry quite interesting - It reminded me of one of the things I'd like to do somtime in the hopefully near future.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

My coffee table is made from an irregular log. It is from a company called Tree Forms in Ithaca, NY. Not sure if it is even still there?

My parents got the table from their parents. I learned to walk by wabbling around that coffee table. My parents put the table away, seeing it as too retro and granola-ish I think.

I've had the coffee table in my apartment since college. I had some cracks fixed and a new leg made. I love it. What's old is new again.

I'd like to find a way to orient more of my apartment to match up to this table. It's rustic but still urban.

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home