Thursday, July 19, 2007

lene toni kjeld: wallpaper that makes my heart go THUD THUD THUD



First..., I think I almost just passed out. Ode to Lene Toni Kjeld, she of the brilliant wallpaper that I must have! I'm so excited about the new directions towards which wallpaper has recently been heading, but I must say that this is particularly lovely, in that it feels contemporary but not in your face (gritty "toiles" and edwardian typescript "bite me" and other i'm-too-edgy-for-my-party-so-edgy-it-hurts kind of designs.)

Lene's wallpaper, on the other hand, is just unnervingly wonderful without being self-conscious or obtrusively tongue-in-cheek; I love its soft, crumbling texture, neutral metallic tones, its 21st-century nod to lace, and even fresco-- à la Timorous Beasties "Fresco" pattern... sigh. so so good.

But here's the thing. The seduction-that-is-European-artisanal- wallpaper has two significant cons, 1) price and 2) permanence. (Oh, and very possibly 3) a significant other who doesn't like wallpaper.) But does any of this deter Michelle of Armas Design? not at all! she recently suggested the genius idea of papering a large sheet of plywood (which allows us to escape 1), 2), and 3) in one go. Simple and brilliant. (Has anyone seen examples of such a thing?)

Lene...? Let's talk!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger jif said...

i love the comeback of wallpaper! another alternative could be to paper only one wall...

6:54 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

I am gasping over that last photo. What beautiful paper!

10:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

mmmm.....yeeeessssss.... this is gorgeous. ia malso in love with the comeback of wallpaper and love learning about new designers. thanks!

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home