Tuesday, October 16, 2007

mini-project: gilding large stones for table-top book weights

Grace's mini-guide to paperweights excited me way more than is probably normal and/or healthy.

This particular knobbly gold nugget paperweight, priced at around $140, got me thinking... how difficult would it be to apply gold leaf to stones? and how beautiful and easy wouldn't that be?

One could do big, melon-sized stones and place them on books on a coffee table...! definitely my next project: headed off to Michaels this week for some gold leaf.



[By the request of Ms. Johnson, the images of her gilded stones, which I had cropped in such a way as to conceal her cherry-on-top addition of opalescent snail shells, have been removed.]

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger jif said...

beautiful, shiny idea, p! given the weight and the right shape, one could also use them as book ends.

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

coolness!
love.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Great idea! and fun to do I am sure, plus even if you are a little messy and you get gold on your fingers, it just looks so posh!

10:55 PM  
Blogger design dna said...

this works! i put gold bands on lucky stones in maine this summer. sometimes it takes a double coat of sticky to make it stay. i'll check back for the results!!!

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the top photo a lot....I think it would make quite a statement on a table top!

10:54 AM  
Blogger radium said...

When I was growing up, I was deeply enamored of the gold and silver crayons in those giant boxes of Crayola Crayons.

3:04 AM  
Blogger Topsy Turvy said...

Love the combination of gold and rough. I gold leafed acorns one year for the holidays (think I got the idea from Martha Stewart) and they were so pretty. Some rocks could be in my future ... I collect them when I travel and this could be a nice way to display them. Thanks!

-Lana

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Tessa Johnson said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Bite Sized Bree said...

Hi, nice reading your blog

6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home